Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Emergency Savings

Saving money isn't always an easy thing.  I agree it is hard and sometimes I would just rather buy something then save that money for something better.

What about those of you who live paycheck to paycheck, you try and you think "if I could get this bill paid off then I will be in a better place" but then another bill comes in to take its place and you aren't getting anywhere.

I feel your frustration and I am hoping that I can help.

First thing that needs to happen is get, what Dave Ramsey would call, an EMERGENCY FUND.  You are probably thinking "if I have no money to save how can I get an emergency fund?"

Answer:

Use your tax refund money or find an extra job do whatever it takes to get this.

It should be at least $1000 and this is why.  If you have one of those surprising bills more than likely you can pay for it with $1000.   Don't use this money to pay off existing debt, don't go on a trip, or find a really good sale, save this money.  It needs to be there when a real emergency comes.  Examples: furnace breaks, car accident, medical emergency, funeral, etc.

What will happen is that you will pay off your debt and be able to stay out of debt because of this fund.

Lets say that you used some of your emergency fund then you need to figure out how to replace it.  It might take a little time but keep it going.

You might find that your family needs more than this and that is okay.  You need to figure out what is best for your family and stick with it.  Budgeting and getting to a better financial wellness isn't going to happen unless you are able to do something that you and your family will be able to make work.   Also remember that this isn't going to be easy so don't give up because it is hard.  Hard things make strong people so don't let yourself stop.

If you are still having a hard time finding the money for an emergency fund don't give up hope just yet.  In my next post I will talk about another way that could get you back on track and would take less effort and stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment